** Birth Justice Project is 5 years old! While Birth Justice Project is continuing our current work, we are intentionally stepping back from taking on new projects and new volunteers while we reflect on the trajectory of the last 5 years, and strategize next steps. Responses during this time might be slow. **
We are a community of volunteer doulas that provide doula care and health education to people in the San Francisco County Jail , Santa Rita Jail, and Bay Area residential addiction recovery programs.
Our goals for individuals
- Improve birth experiences for people who are incarcerated or in recovery.
- Support mother-infant bonding.
- Empower people to make positive decisions about their reproductive health.
- Advocate for the biopsychosocial needs of pregnant people.
- Provide support and community within the jail and residential recovery programs.
Our goals for communities
- Present pregnancy and birth as natural physiological processes.
- Decrease the gap in birth outcomes for the grossly underserved.
- Decrease women’s health disparities.
- Mitigate racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and classism within the institutions housing people we serve.